Thursday, January 10, 2013

Behold as I name drop!

Name dropping.  It's something I don't normally do.  It's something I barely even get a chance to do.  Not to say that there haven't been a couple opportunities.  Over the past year, I've been able to proof read a few advanced copies of recent novels.  Frankly, I was flattered to have been asked in the first place.  I'm sure writers do it all the time, no matter how successful they are (nobody writes in a vacuum), but for them to ask me?  I was gobsmacked.  I mean, who am I?  Just a guy, reading books and writing reviews on Amazon.  Reviews that go ignored more often than not.  But it turned out that someone was paying attention.  Will I be asked again to go over an advanced reader copy?  Who knows.  They probably got tired of hearing my profuse thanks and don't wanna deal with me again.  Anyway, I know I'm not unique or special in any way but things like that don't normally happen to me.  Blame it on naivete or a child-like enthusiasm or whatever, but I was psyched to have done it.

So, where was I?  Oh, right.  Name dropping.  I knew I'd get back to the point sooner or later.  Then again, this blog IS called Overly Verbose after all. 

Anyway, Words With Fiends is meeting with some pretty good feedback.  There are a few reviews up on Amazon and a couple ratings on GoodReads.  It sold half-decently when I put it up for free on Smashwords this past weekend, so it's getting out there.  Not everyone writes reviews or rates books, but I've even gotten a couple messages on Facebook from people telling me they liked it.  Makes a dude feel good.

What really makes a dude feel good is when an author he admires not only takes the time to read what said dude has written, but enjoys it and reviews it. 

Dave Conifer is a fantastic writer and I am most definitely a fan of his.  So, when I check my page and find out he'd written a review of Words With Fiends while I was sitting in the lobby of my daughter's dance school?  And what's more, that he dug it?  I was over the friggin' moon.  Still am.  I mean, how cool is that?  Of course, I appreciate all reviews.  I appreciate anybody who takes the time to read something I've written and goes to the trouble of jamming out a few keystrokes as to why they did (or didn't) like it.  But when someone you admire, someone who can write circles around you, enjoys something you've done?  That's just cool in the extreme.  That's just something I never thought would happen. 

Trust me, I know I'm not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but maybe I don't completely suck either.  For a guy who has no confidence whatsoever, this is pretty good encouragement. 

For the one or two of you who'll actually read this, check out Dave's Page on Amazon.  He's written thrillers (Wrecker, Primary Justice, Man of Steel) as well as very topical character driven dramas (e-bully, Hard Lines). 

Catch everyone on the flipside!

No comments:

Post a Comment