Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Allow me to introduce myself

What's to tell, really?  I'm a guy who loves to read.  LOVES to read.  I've been an avid reader since my teens and started to write reviews on Amazon in my 20's.  Writing was something that always seemed magical to me and, as such, something I couldn't do.  It wasn't until late 2011 that I started to consider sitting down in front of the computer and bashing out a few words.  A friend of mine, also a big reader, approached me with the idea of co-writing an urban fantasy novel.  After weeks of discussion it didn't go anywhere but I didn't let that stop me.  I wrote my first 'official' short story in February of 2012.  I sent it to a few people who seemed to like it so that lit the fire for me to write even more.  It wasn't long after that I started to write my first 'book'.  Five weeks and about 130,000 works later it was finished.  Or at least, the first draft.  I've still yet to go back and edit it.

A lot has happened between then and now.  I wrote another book in the spring of 2012 which is much cleaner than my first effort but still in need of editing.  In addition, I wrote a few other shorts as well, one of which (Hollow) was lucky enough to get picked up and published.  Feedback from that was positive so I wrote Words With Fiends which I decided to self publish.  Feedback for THAT has been pretty good, too!

'But, Matt.  What exactly IS it that you write?', you may ask.  Well, in short: whatever I feel like.  I'm a fan of just about every genre of fiction there is.  Thriller, mystery, horror, urban fantasy, high fantasy, science fiction, 'chick lit', historical fiction.  You name it, I've read it.  My first 'novel' is what I guess you could call contemporary fiction.  My second novel is urban fantasy.  My shorts so far have been a mix of horror and urban fantasy.  I don't think I've found my niche yet.  Heck, I'm not even sure I've found my STYLE yet.  But I'm working on it.

Anyway, thank you for visiting my little corner of the internet.  I hope you stick with me as I plan to keep on plugging away at this here keyboard as ideas come to mind.  2012 was a pretty good year for me in that I started something I never though I could do and saw it through and got good vibes back in the process.  Hopefully 2013 will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment