Thursday, September 26, 2013

Healing, FREE E-BOOK, and what's next?

Hello all you faithful followers.  Yes, I'm still alive.  I know I haven't blogged in quite some time.  Why?  Honestly, I haven't had much to say.  Now I have a little free time as the eldest watched Drake & Josh before bed so I figured I'd type out a few words for anybody out there who's interested.

First order of business:  Healing.
Some may know this already, but some may not.  I had surgery toward the end of June.  I started to experience numbness in my left hand (pinky/ring finger) around the beginning of the new year.  Many appointments and tests later, it turned out I had neuropathy.  Long story short, a hand surgeon dug into my wrist and elbow to alleviate the problem.  I won't get into all the details, but I had a brace, followed by physical therapy for about six weeks post-op.  Prior to surgery I couldn't type and I couldn't play guitar worth a shit.  Anybody who knows me knows that guitar's been a big thing in my life for the past twenty or so years, give or take a couple weeks, days, hours. I'm getting better.  In fact, I'm not only able to type up to speed, but I can PLAY MY DAMNED GUITAR AGAIN!  There was a period where I feared I'd never be able to play again.  It was depressing.  It's been such a big part of my life for so long that the prospect of never being able to play again sucked bigtime.  It wasn't without a huge degree of trepidation that I picked up one of my several guitars and plugged in a few weeks back.  The result?  It didn't sound like a bunch of monkeys humping a beach ball.  In fact, I'm playing almost as well as I had been before the nerve issues developed.  The pinky is still numb, a problem which could very well be present for another two years, so the doctors tell me.  But I'm getting better.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll make a youtube video and post it on here so you can all be amazed by my fretboard wizardry.  No promises though!

Second order of business:  FREE-EBOOK
I talk about Ghosts of Demons Past constantly.  Did I mention it's now available in paperback?  Well, I just did.  Anyway, I have a short story out there, too.  Words With Fiends.  This short horror/suspense novelette (around 10,000 words/45 kindle pages) is NOW FREE FOR KINDLE!  How long will this free offer last?  For the foreseeable future as far as I'm concerned.  While Ghosts is enjoying some good reviews (just received its 25th five star review today as a matter of fact) it's not selling very well.  I'm all about honesty here.  Why be any way else?  The idea is to get people interested with the free novelette, and if they dig it, maybe they'll take a chance on Seth's maiden voyage.  Stranger things have happened.  So, head on over to Amazon and get Words With Fiends for free if you haven't already!  You may just like it.

Third order of business:  What's next?
I have a few fires burning.  I have a short story that'll be published as part of Padwolf Publishing's next anthology, "Lucky 13" sometime next year.  I'd turned it in a while back (way before my surgery) and the editor liked it a lot.  I'm pretty proud of it myself.  I think people are going to like this one.  Also, I'm part of a shared world anthology of sorts that I'm not allowed to speak of under pain of death.  That has been completed and is now undergoing the editing process.  More on that when the gag order has been revoked.  Right now I'm going through the second round of edits on my next novel.  It's titled...well, I'm not ready to give that away just yet.  I tend to keep titles very close to the chest.  Publishing said novel makes me nervous.  Why?  It's the first novel I'd ever written.  Yes, I wrote it even before Ghosts of Demons Past and let it sit and linger.  Additionally, it's unlike anything I've written to date.  It's not horror, it's not dark fiction, it's not 'paranormal' in the traditional sense.  It's, dare I say, a life story/drama/romance with a paranormal twist?  I'd given it to some 'pre-beta' readers to skim a month or so ago as I was completing the first round of edits and they liked it, despite it being a rough draft.  Still, I'm nervous.  But I'm going to finish it and publish it anyway.  I feel the story is engaging and beyond that, it carries a heavy sentimental weight, being my very first novel.

So, what's after THAT?  The few who've read and enjoyed Ghosts of Demons Past want a sequel.  Just go check out the reviews on amazon and you'll see 'sequel' is a common sentiment with each subsequent review.  Do I plan on writing more Seth Gabriel stories?  Yes.  When?  I don't know.  I'm not going to do it until I have a solid story to tell.  I do have ideas.  In point of fact, I almost have TOO MANY IDEAS.  They're a muddled mess in my head.  Still, I've no central story idea and until that happens, I'm not going to half ass it.  I've written a bunch of short stories I've written over the past year, year and a half.  Will I go back, edit them, and publish my own mini-anthology?  Eventually, yes.  Is that next though?  I'm not sure.  I'm thinking it's time to start something new.  Hit that blank page with some new characters, new words, new story.  I may even have a story in mind.  In fact, I know I do.  Thing is, it's a bit...different.  The story that's been pulling at my cortex for these past few months will most likely have to be written under a pen name and feature scantily clad people on the cover. I may even have a title, and a pen name all dreamed up for said story.  BUT, we'll see what we'll see ;)

Anyway, thanks for making it this far.  You've earned yourself a big, fat no-prize for reading my long winded drivel!  Until next time, whenever that may be, be well and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment